Before you can start any research project involving human participants, human material or human data in the Welsh School of Architecture (WSA), you have to obtain formal approval from the School Research Ethics Committee (SREC).
This is a group of people within WSA who decide whether, on ethical grounds, the research can proceed as proposed, or advice on how it may be modified to do so.
The SREC is established to consider, approve or otherwise issue guidance on research and has a reporting duty to the University Research Ethics Committee. It is established to aid and support staff and student researchers in maintaining exemplary ethical standards in research within the School and to foster a culture among staff and students that is sensitive to ethical considerations where research with people is concerned.
- Making an Ethics Application
- Ethics Approval Form (Students)
- Ethics Approval Form (Staff/PGR Student)
- Consent Forms
- Issues to consider when applying for ethical approval
Health and Safety
Each research project is required to meet the health and safety requirements of University policy. See further information about Cardiff University’s Health & Safety Policies. Of note for researchers in our field is the policy on Lone Working.
The WSA Ethics Committee wants to know that the safety and wellbeing of research participants is assured, that the applicant is aware of any possible ethical issues in carrying out the research and that steps have been taken to ensure that best practice is followed.
- Caroline Paradise, Nightingale Architects
- Consent Form: Confidential Data
- Ethics Approval of Research: Procedures and Guidelines
- Remit of the WSA School Research Ethics Committee
- Ethics Committee Presentation
- A Good Practice Example
- ESRC Research Ethics Framework
- Cardiff University Ethics homepage (please use your Novell username and password)
- Cardiff School of Psychology Ethics Website
- Child Protection Procedures
- Management and Retention of Research Records
- JISC guidelines for Managing Research Records
- Cardiff University Guidance for researchers Working With Children and Young People
- Cardiff University Health and Safety Policies
- Prevent Duty
- Freedom of Speech