The contribution and dedication of students and staff have been celebrated at the annual Enriching Student Life Awards.
Now in their fourth year, the awards exist to give thanks to those who work to enhance the student experience at Cardiff University.
More than 300 nominations were received this year from current students in categories such as: most uplifting member of staff; most effective teacher; and personal tutor of the year.
Speaking at the awards ceremony Vice-President for Education Ollie Wannell said: “Reading through the nominations I was truly touched by not only the great work that staff and students are doing, but the ethos in which it is done.
“Cardiff has a rich and diverse group of alumni – graduates who are the best ambassadors for the University. But excellent graduates don’t exist without excellent teachers. Every person nominated for an award and many more across the institution are helping shape the lawyers, doctors, journalists, politicians, sports men and women – the Cardiff alumni of tomorrow.”
The awards were presented by the University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Colin Riordan who added:
“We pride ourselves on the level of engagement we have with our students and the Enriching Student Life Awards are an excellent example of the proactive student engagement we have, and highlight the close relationship we have with our Students’ Union.
“It is excellent to see these contributions being formally recognised through these awards and I’d like to thank all staff and our Student Academic Reps for their hard work over the past year.”
One of the big winners on the night was Dave Dawkins from the Law School who won the Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Commitment to the Student Experience. We caught up with Dave to hear more about his story. You can listen to his interview below.
Internet Explorer 8 users
If you’re using Internet Explorer 8, the SoundCloud player will not work. You can download the audio file instead.
The full list of winners is below:
- The Honour Roll – James Galloway, School of Biosciences
- Most Uplifting Member of Staff – Rhian Rattray, School of English, Communication and Philosophy
- Personal Tutor of the Year – Doctor Sally Anstey, School of Healthcare Sciences
- Most Effective Teacher- Doctor Leanne Smith, Law School
- Most Innovative Member of Staff – Professor Anatoly Zhigljavsky, School of Mathematics
- The Employability Award – Hazel Prichard, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Student Academic Rep of the College Arts Humanities & Social Sciences: Eric Nordgren, School of History Archaeology and Religion
- Student Academic Rep of the College Biomedical & Life Sciences: Iain Nurse, School of Healthcare Sciences
- Student Academic Rep of the College Physical Sciences & Engineering: Rochelle Brunnock & Will McLoughlin, School of Mathematics
- Student Rep Co-ordinator of the Year: Leila Hughes School of Business
- Student Academic Rep of the Year 2014 :Rochelle Brunnock, School of Mathematics
- The Enriching Student Life Award: Dr Stephen Riley, School of Medicine
- The Vice Chancellor’s Award for commitment to the student experience : Dave Dawkins, School of Law