Directory of Expertise

Dr Mara Miele

02920 879121

Languages spoken: English, Italian

I joined the School of Planning and Geography at Cardiff University in January 2004. Previously I was Senior Lecturer at Pisa University. My areas of expertise include food consumption practices, ethical consumption and animal welfare, human-animals relations, public understanding of science, geographies of science.

About my research

My research addresses the geographies of ethical foods consumption and the role of animal welfare science and technology in challenging the role of farmed animals in current agricultural practices and policies.

In recent years I have worked with a large interdisciplinary network of social and animal welfare scientists for developing innovative forms of critical public engagement with science that produced the EU animal welfare standard (Welfare Quality).

Now I am taking forward this work with a new EU funded project EUWelNet for establishing a European research network of excellence and pilot European Animal Welfare Research Centre and a DEFRA funded project on the implementation in the UK of the 2007 EU directive on meat chickens welfare.

Awards and recognition

Environment and Planning A, Ashby Prize 2012

Membership of professional bodies

• RGS-IBG (Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers)
  • AAG (Association of American Geographers)
  • ISA-RC40 (Research Committee on Sociology of Agriculture and Food RC40 )
  • ESRS (European Society for Rural Sociology)
  • EURSAFE (European Society for Agricultural and Food Ethics)

School

Areas of expertise

Keywords

Can't find who you're looking for?

If you can't find the expert you need call our Public Relations team on 02920 870298

Search by name or area of expertise