Directory of Expertise

Professor Adrian J. Harwood

02920 879358 (Biosci), 02920 688492 (NMHRI)

I am Deputy-director of the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute (NMHRI). My research investigates the cell biological basis of risk in psychiatric disorders, such as bipolar mood disorder, schizophrenia and ASD. In particular, I study the mechanism of action (MOA) of current drugs, mis-regulation of intra-signalling and epigenetic mechanisms.

About my research

I have a strong background in cell biology with extensive experience in molecular signaling systems and cell behavior in neuronal and model cell systems. I am active in the emerging field of cellular pharmacology, studying the interaction of psychotropic drugs in the cellular context.

My current work focuses on the molecular and cellular interactions of lithium and other mood stabilizers used in the treatment of bipolar mood disorder and epigenetic mechanisms that increase risk of psychiatric disorders. This work aims to both develop new therapeutic strategies and provide basic insight into the cellular mechanisms underlying mental illnesses.

Awards and recognition

Fellow of the Society of Biology (FSB)

Member of Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum (CINP)

Membership of professional bodies

• Fellow of the Society of Biology
  • Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum (CINP)
  • British Society for Cell Biology

Media and speaking experience

Radio interviews

School

Areas of expertise

Keywords

Can't find who you're looking for?

If you can't find the expert you need call our Public Relations team on 02920 870298

Search by name or area of expertise

Performance Optimization WordPress Plugins by W3 EDGE