Cymraeg

Directory of Expertise

Professor Nicholas Topley

02920 743770

07778 290373

I am the Director of the Institute of Translation, Innovation, Methods and Engagement (TIME), Cardiff University School of Medicine.

I received my Bachelors degree (BSc) in Microbiology from University College Cardiff and my PhD at the University of Wales College of Medicine before doing postdoctoral research in Hannover, Germany.

I am a former member of the Council of International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis and received the John F Maher Award in 1998 for outstanding contributions to Peritoneal Dialysis.

I am Editor Emeritus of Peritoneal Dialysis International, Subject/Associate Editor for NDT and a member of the editorial board of several nephrology journals.

I am one of the founders and the current President of www.europd.com a European organisation dedicated to increasing knowledge and education in the PD community.

About my research

I have over 25 years experience specialising in the field of peritoneal dialysis, peritoneal membrane biology, inflammation biology.

I am CI on a number of UK-CRM portfolio clinical studies in Peritoneal dialysis patients.

Major research interests include the regulation of acute inflammation and leukocyte function and its impact on tissue fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and surgical adhesions.

I have also published widely in the area of dialysis solution biocompatibility and peritoneal dialysis.

Awards and recognition

NISCHR (National Institute for Social Care and Health) Senior Faculty (2013)

Fellow of the Society of Biology (FSB) (2012)

President of EuroPD (2009-)

John F. Maher Award (ISPD) (1998)

Membership of professional bodies

• International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis (ISPD)
  • American Society of Nephrology (ASN)
  • European Dialysis and Transplant Association (EDTA)
  • EuroPD (EuroPD.com)

Media and speaking experience

I have significant experience in directing, producing and hosting in web-based video productions. I have completed press and media training.

For examples see:

www.europd.com/page/videos

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/infect-immun/research/innate/peritoneal-immunity/

School

Areas of expertise

Keywords

Can't find who you're looking for?

If you can't find the expert you need call our Public Relations team on 02920 870298

Search by name or area of expertise