Network Password FAQs
How do I change my network password or choose a new one?
Choosing a new password
Your new password will need to be at least nine characters long (with a maximum length of fourteen characters) and should be an apparently random string of characters. It must include at least one digit, and a mixture of upper and lower case letters. Please note that all Cardiff University systems recognise case sensitivity in passwords.
You will not be able to use previous passwords.
To change your password
You may change your own password by using the Password Management option on the Cardiff Portal home page.
We recommend following the below steps to avoid issues when updating your password
- Ensure you have all the devices you use to connect to Cardiff University resources with you (including smart phones, tablets, laptops etc).
- Disconnect those devices from the internet so they cannot connect to the services listed here (and delete any eduroam Wi-Fi profiles).
- Choose and set your new password.
- Update all saved passwords on your devices to reflect your new password.
- Allow your devices to reconnect (if you use the eduroam service to connect via Wi-Fi then you should create a new eduroam connection).
N.B. We recommend filling out your security questions on the Password Management Page as having these in place will allow you to retrieve your password should you forget it.
I’ve forgotten my network password, how can I get it reset?
Call into your library on the Cathays or Heath Park Campus, with your University identity card as identification.
Contact the Information Services IT Service Desk (x74487)