For advice on how best to protect your mobile device follow the links below:
Information Commissioner’s Office – Safer Smartphones A Guide to Keeping Your Device Secure.
Mobile Security Advice – including instructions on how to set-up features that allow you to locate your lost phone and if necessary wipe its contents.
McAfee 10 Quick Tips to Mobile Security – including information and advice on what steps to take to protect your mobile device and why.
- Lock your device with a personal identification number or password
- Only install applications from trusted sources
- Back up your data
- Keep your system updated
- Don’t hack / root / jailbreak your device
- Always log out of banking and shopping sites
- Turn off Wi-Fi, location services and Bluetooth when they are not in use
- Avoid texting or emailing personal information
- Don’t click on links or attachments in unsolicited emails or text messages
- Install a mobile security app
Topics covered include
- Using apps safely and securely on your mobile phone
- Lost or stolen phone
- Children and in-app purchases
- Parental controls for mobile phones
- Parents guide on buying a mobile phone or tablet for your child
- Children and mobile location based services