We are currently looking for volunteers willing to take part in two research studies on healthy ageing and midlife risk for dementia: 1) Ageing, stress, brain structure and cognitive health; and 2) How do individual differences in adiposity and APOE genotype as risk factor for dementia affect brain and cognition? These studies are highly inter-related, therefore we would like to invite you to participate in and complete both of these studies. You will receive a payment of £2.50 for the screening part and £17.50 for the rest of study ‘Ageing, stress, brain structure and cognitive health’; £10 for the screening part and £30 for the rest of study ‘How do individual differences in body fat and APOE genotype as risk factors for dementia affect brain health and cognition? If you are interested, please read the information below.
What do these studies involve?
- Completing a short screening session in the afternoon (30min);
If you meet the inclusion criteria for this study, then also:
- Providing three saliva samples in the same screening session. One of the saliva samples will be used to measure biological indicators of elevated stress (the stress hormone cortisol and measures of the body’s immune system function). The other two samples will be used to analyse your DNA;
- Completing an online survey (up to 1h 10min);
- Arriving at Cardiff University, School of Psychology to complete two sessions of cognitive testing consisting of several tasks of general cognition, memory, learning, problem solving, attention and the ability to regulate emotions (up to 2h each)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of your brain and abdomen (90min)
- Fasting blood draw (15min);
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact us (email@example.com)
Am I eligible to take part?
You are eligible to take part if you are a man aged 40-70 years or a woman aged 50-70 years, a native English speaker and in good health (no history of psychiatric, neurological, chronic immune system conditions; head injury, alcohol or drug abuse; metal in your body; have normal or corrected-to-normal vision). However, we will ask you to complete the screening session to make sure that you meet these criteria.
Do I have to take part?
Your participation is completely voluntary. You will be able to withdraw at any time.
What will happen to all the information?
All of the data will be held confidentially. A participant number will be assigned to you and only this number will be used to store and analyse the data. The link between this participant number and your name will be safely held in a separate document. We would like to keep all the information obtained indefinitely. We would also like to keep your saliva samples and DNA material for future research. However, you will be able to ask for all the information to be deleted and all the samples disposed of at any time, if you wish to withdraw from the study.