Board member news

Week 3 … China

15 January 2015

I arrived at the University on 5 January as the new PVC for International and Europe.  If you’d like to read a bit more about me and my history have a look at the blas article which went out last year.

I spent my first week settling into my new surroundings and meeting a variety of staff.  Week two kicked off with my first University Executive Board.  Week three and I’ll be travelling to China on my first international trip for the University … nothing like being broken in gently!

A crucial part of my role is to develop Cardiff’s international activity and enhance our international reputation.  China is Cardiff’s largest student recruitment market and we have long standing and well developed academic links.  So it’s particularly appropriate that my first visit is to China.  I’m really looking forward to the trip and will be working on building our teaching and research links.  The delegation for the trip consists of myself, staff from the International Office, School of Modern Languages, as well as Professor Wen (our Dean for China). We’ll be visiting Beijing Normal University Language School and have a meeting with the Vice-President of South China University of Technology.  We’re then heading to Xiamen University to see the Chemistry Department and meet with the Vice-President and their International Office.  I’m sure it will be a really interesting trip.  It gives me time with some of the University’s key international staff and enables me to start building relations with our Chinese partners.  Once I’m back I’ll write another blog to let you know how the trip went.  ​Read more about our links with China.