- Professor Price updated UEB on the recent Learning and Teaching day which had had strong academic engagement. It was noted that further contributions to the debate can be made via Twitter #HE2030.
- Professor de Leeuw noted that she had recently visited the Universidad de la Habana in Cuba which run undergraduate programmes and could provide an opportunity for consideration for Cardiff’s own outward mobility programmes.
- UEB received two separate business cases on possible School expansion in the Bute Building once the School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies moves out. It was agreed that both cases should now go to the Business Case Scrutiny Group for further consideration.
- UEB received a paper on the development of new University Research Institute (URI) in Sustainable Waters. UEB agreed to progress the new URI which will be launched on 1 August 2015 along with the other new URIs.
- UEB received and approved the annual forecasts against HEFCW’s corporate strategy measures for submission to HEFCW.
- UEB received a briefing on the recent speech by Jo Johnson MP, Minister for Universities and Science. It was agreed that a paper would come to UEB once the details are known about the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in England which is due to be announced in the autumn.
UEB received the following regular reports
- Director of Communications & Marketing Monthly Report and Forward Plan. The report updated on current media relations and campaigns. It detailed the preparations and format for Graduation this year. It also detailed the key achievements of the Student Recruitment and Marketing team.
- Report on Engagement Activities. The report updated on each of the flagship engagement projects and on engagement activities with the Welsh and UK government. The report also noted upcoming events and initiatives which included events identified at the Eisteddfod which includes debate on the future of Welsh media, the launch of ‘Welsh for All’ and a debate on Innovation in Public Services.
- Report on International Activities. The report update on activity with KU Leuven, China, Cuba, as well as European Fund for Structural Investment and Horizon 2020 developments.