General

WARC welcomes undergraduate students from the School of Psychology Research internship scheme “SPRint”

This summer WARC were delighted to welcome several undergraduate students from the School of Psychology research internship scheme (SPRint). The scheme gives Cardiff University’s psychology undergraduates first hand experience of research, provides  insight into future career possibilities, and also develops a range of research skills. Our SPRint students worked alongside WARC staff on a variety of interesting projects and have been invaluable members of the WARC team.

One of Dr Catherine Jones’ SPRint students, Jamie Knowles, explains more about the project he is working on, “The work involves watching videos of typically developing children and children with autism having conversations with an experimenter. Our job is to use the coding system that was developed last year to code all the movements, gestures, repetitive behaviours and speech produced by the children during the videos. I am currently exploring the idea of a career in research and am hoping this internship will provide me with a better picture of what working in research entails and whether it is a suitable path to follow. I also hope that I will be able to carry the skills developed this summer, into my final year project and any future research I may be involved in.”

Thank you to all the SPRint students for all your hard work this summer!

(Picture below of some of the SPRint students L-R: Jamie Knowles, Helena Klein, Katie Sedgwick, Mila Nenova).

SPRInt_2016_1