Board member news

International Women’s Day

2 March 2015

As Deputy Vice-Chancellor one of the areas of my responsibility is equality and diversity and it is an area I am particularly proud to champion. Cardiff University has a strong track record in promoting equality which began long before I arrived.  As I’m sure many of you know, in 1904 Cardiff University (then known as University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire) made Millicent McKenzie the first female professor in the UK.  With this long tradition in mind I’d like to draw your attention to International Women’s Day. This is a global event which brings together both women and men to celebrate equality and to discuss the equality issues which affect us all.  This year Cardiff University is hosting a series of events throughout March to celebrate the impact of equality of opportunity on our institution and on society as a whole.   You can see all the events we’re planning on the intranet.  I am particularly looking forward to hosting an event on 26 March when Baroness Jenny Randerson will be joining us to talk about women and equality in the Welsh economy.

I hope you’ll join me and many of my colleagues during March to help celebrate International Women’s Day.