Rich is a Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology and Research Methods, and Programme Director for the B.Sc. Sport and Exercise Science at the Cardiff School of Sport, Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Competition and Occupational Stress; Resiliency; Life-skills; Wellbeing; Reflective Practice.
Neil, R., Fletcher, D., Hanton, S., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2007). (Re)conceptualizing competition stress in sport performers. Sport & Exercise Psychology Review, 3, 23-29.
Neil, R., Hanton, S., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2009). The contribution of qualitative inquiry towards understanding competitive anxiety and competition stress. Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise, 1, 191-205.
Fletcher, D., Hanton, S., Mellalieu, S., & Neil, R. (2012). A conceptual framework of organizational stressors in sport performers. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 22, 545-557.
Wadey, R., Evans, L., Hanton, S., & Neil, R. (2012). An examination of hardiness throughout the sport injury process. British Journal of Health Psychology, 17, 103-128.
Wadey, R., Evans, L., Hanton, S., & Neil, R. (2012). An examination of hardiness throughout the sport injury process: A qualitative follow-up study. British Journal of Health Psychology, 17, 872-893.
Neil, R., Hanton, S., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2013). Seeing things in a different light: Assessing the effects of a cognitive-behavioural intervention upon the further appraisals of golfers. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 25, 106-130. DOI: 10.1080/10413200.2012.658901
Stephens, C., Neil, R., & Smith, P. (2013). The Perceived Benefits and Barriers of Sport in Spinal Cord Injured Individuals; A Qualitative Study. Disability and Rehabilitation, 34, 2061-2070. DOI:10.3109/09638288.2012.669020.
Neil, R., Hanton, S., Fleming, S., & Wilson, K. (2013, in press). The Research Process in Sport, Exercise and Health: Case Studies of Active Researchers. London: Routledge.
Neil, R., Hanton, S., Bayston, P., & Wilson, K. (2013, in press). The influence of competition stress and emotions on referee decision-making. Sport and Exercise Psychology Review.
Neil, R., Cropley, B. J., Wilson, K., & Faull, A. (2013, in press). Exploring the value of reflective practice interventions within applied sport psychology: Case studies with an individual athlete and a team. Sport and Exercise Psychology Review.
· Thomas and Elizbeth Scholarship Fund. Competition stress in sport performers.
· KESS studentship with Carmarthen Golf Club: The effectiveness of a golf-related resiliency training programme on the mental and physiological health of adolescence within the Carmarthenshire area of Wales.
· KESS studentship with FAW: The design, implementation and evaluation of a resilient coping and life skills development plan for adolescents within a Football Coach Education programme.
· Golf Union of Wales: ‘Live Smart’ developing a life skill programme for Golf Union of Wales.
· DVLA Stress Management Project. With Cardiff University.
Links to other websites:
Cardiff School of Sport Website: